Saturday, July 07, 2007

Fourth of July, 2007

The 4th of July was great this year. As some of you know, July 4th, 1983 is the date of my accident that left me in a coma and the hospital for 90 days.

In ’83, my mom, some friends and I were riding our horses to be in the Franklin 4th of July parade. Franklin’s just a town over from Carlisle, where I grew up.
On our way, my horse fell, so did I, and my head hit the road. Thus, the coma.

Anyway, this year was great. I was in the Franklin parade again. I think it was my first time in the parade since 1984, when, on the one-year anniversary of my accident, the parade committee asked me to be the Grand Marshall. My two older brothers and I rode in the back seat of a classic convertible and waved to friends and relatives lining the route. In this picture the top is being brought up because it was raining.

Since our ride at the front of the parade, one of my brothers has grown a local business, Evans Excavating & Topsoil. For a decade or more he has driven a dump truck in the parade to promote his work and have fun. Several years ago, he bought a little dump truck produced in 1922. You know parades bring out all the old cars, and this year he drove his little dump truck, my sister-in-law next to him and their children and two grandchildren (twins!) in the back sitting on two bails of hay. (The twins sat on laps).

While they rode in comfort on that sunny yet not-too-hot July morning, I walked/ran the mile-and-a half route, handing out bookmarks as I went. My sister-in-law, riding in the old dump truck, had boxes of my bookmarks next to her, and she would resupply me when my stock ran short.

It’s a great way to promote my book. I handed out about 400 bookmarks in total along the mile-and-a-half route. I’m going to look into walking other area parades to get the communities talking about my book again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sophia said...

I'm so glad you had a good time!Iwas busy on the lake for a full wk of fireworks!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Evans Fryer said...

Sophia,
I know it's been a long time coming, but a posted a new travel story to www.ournationstreasures.blogspot.com. Check it out.

I'm glad you had fun the week of the 4th too. Living on a lake must be wonderful.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Sophia said...

Yes, 30 yrs now and my taxes are only $750.00 a yr you can't beat that!I was 24 when I bought a pretty Chalet with a walkout finish lower level.It is very busy.

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home