Friday, December 08, 2006

Restaurant Review: Pappadeaux a Pappadud

Last week my husband and I went out to eat at a fancy sea food restaurant he wanted to try: Pappadeaux in Springdale near the Rt. 4/275 interchange. We didn’t know it was so fancy until we walked into the place and felt a bit underdressed. It was early on a Wednesday and the place hadn’t filled yet so our casual attire went mostly unnoticed.

The menu was sufficient with standard as well as unique sea food fair; however, the least expensive entrée cost $19 and change. And that's without salad or bread. That’s a bit pricey for a casual meal out for us. The Caesar salad was $9, and our table tent advertised margaritas for $7.95!!!

I ordered the catfish fillet for $19+ and asked what vegetable it came with. The waiter answered, “The catfish fillet comes with rice.”
I simply stared, wondering if I should let him know that rice is not a vegetable.
Mark broke the silence, in hopes of thwarting a smart response from me: “Just order a vegetable on the side.”
I considered that, but before the waiter had come to take our orders, I checked that a side of broccoli cost $2.75. I’m not likely to pay almost three times as much for only a third of what I could (get Mark to) fix myself.

The waiter helpfully chimed in that substitutions are welcomed.

So I ordered the catfish with broccoli, thank you, and Mark got the shrimp kabob with asparagus and what the menu identified as “dirty” rice. Our waiter bragged that the asparagus wasn’t the normal asparagus you can get from the market. No, theirs was nuclear-sized asparagus.
“The smaller the asparagus the more tender,” I thought. I kept it to myself though as I had created enough tension with my silent treatment after the waiter said rice was a vegetable.

After half an hour our waiter delivered our entrees and warned us of the “hot plates.” Without fail I take warnings like that as a challenge to test the plate. Once our waiter turned, I touched my plate, then Mark’s. They were warm and not even very warm, just warm. The food was hot however.

My meal was good though I prefer my broccoli cooked a little more. Mark’s shrimp, we both agreed, was simply satisfactory; the flavoring wasn’t distinct enough. Applebee’s probably offers the same thing for $10 less. He was a little less than satisfied with his dirty rice with bits of sausage in it. And the asparagus? With the girth of an index finger and near the length of two, it was tougher than my broccoli.

Our bill came to just over $40. On the way out we each nabbed a peppermint swirl from the basket near the exit. Complimentary after-dinner mints are a nice touch, yet I thought peppermint swirls a tad unsophisticated. Individually wrapped buttermints would have better helped the establishment achieve its desired ambience.

Shall we entertain ourselves at Pappadeaux again? Pappadoubtful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home